In 2013 the Houses of the Oireachtas held a competition for transition year students. The competition, Seanad Éireann “Young Senator” Student Challenge invited transition year students to write an essay in the form of a speech that could be delivered in Seanad Éireann.
The aim of the competition was to give students an opportunity to broaden their knowledge and interest in Ireland’s parliamentary process and tradition.
The Challenge was open to all students in Transition Year and they were invited to submit essays in two areas:
• written essay in the form of a speech that could be given to Seanad Éireann on either of the two topics listed below. The speech was to be not less than 500 words and not more than 750 words
• video essay in the form of a speech that could be given to Seanad Éireann on either of the two topics listed below. Students submitting video essays were advised that speeches should be not less than 90 seconds in length and not more than 120 seconds in length
The two topics selected were:
1. Do you think the Leaving Certificate prepares you for life?
2. The challenges that face Ireland and does my future lie here?
A shortlist of entries were chosen and those students were invited to attend an event in Seanad Éireann in Spring 2013.
See links below for more details of The Challenge:
1. Challenge details and Terms and Conditions
Sonraí, Téarmaí agus Cionniollacha an Chomortais
3. Poster Student Challenge
Watch this space for future updates.