Housing Committee to discuss Local Government Funding Model

The Joint Committee on Housing, Planning and Local Government will meet tomorrow to discuss Local Government Finance - An Examination of the Funding Model.

The meeting will take place in two sessions:

Session A: Representatives from the Association of Irish Local Government
(AILG), County and City Management Association (CCMA) and National
Oversight and Audit Commission (NOAC)
    
Session B: Officials from the Local Government Audit Service & Department
of Housing, Planning & Local Government

The meeting will start at 9am in Committee Room 1, Leinster House.

Speaking ahead of the meeting, Committee Chair, Maria Bailey TD said, “The purpose of tomorrow’s meeting is to examine the funding model that finances Local Government. The funding model includes capital and current expenditure, charges for goods and services, rates, grants and the Local Government Fund (LGF). As a Committee, we welcome this opportunity to engage directly with our witnesses on issues including auditing the funds allocated to local authorities and the efficient provision essential local services such as public parks; libraries; open spaces; waste services and street maintenance. Local Property Tax (LPT) is another matter likely to be discussed tomorrow; 80% of LPT was retained locally in 2015 and 2016 to fund vital public services. The remaining 20% is re-distributed to provide additional funding to certain local authorities that have lower property tax bases due to the variance in property values.”

“Local authorities provide an invaluable function to communities across Ireland and the Committee looks forward to a wide-ranging discussion on the funding and provision of services tomorrow.”

Watch the meeting live here: https://beta.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/cr1-live/

Committee proceedings can also be viewed on the move, through the Houses of the Oireachtas Smartphone App, available for Apple and Android devices.
ENDS/
Media enquiries:
Nuala Walsh,
Press & Communications Officer,
Houses of the Oireachtas,
Leinster House,
Dublin 2.
P: +353 1 618 3437
M: +353 86 4100 898
Email: Nuala.Walsh@Oireachtas.ie
Twitter: @OireachtasNews

Committee Membership:

Chairperson: Maria Bailey (Fine Gael)

Vice-Chair: Pat Casey (Fianna Fáil)

Deputies

Ruth Coppinger (Solidarity-PBP)
Barry Cowen Fianna Fáil)
Mattie McGrath (Rural Independent Group)
Eoin O Broin (Sinn Féin)
Fergus O’Dowd (Fine Gael)

Senators

Victor Boyhan (Independent)
Paudie Coffey (Fine Gael)
Jennifer Murnane O'Connor (Fianna Fáil)
Grace O'Sullivan (Green Party)