Structural conservation work will commence on historic Georgian Leinster House in the coming months. The OPW are taking this opportunity to reinstate the fabric of the building with a view to conserving the historical features of the House for future generations. The business of the parliament will not be disrupted.
Georgian Leinster House is the original house, built in 1745, which has been added to over the years to meet the needs of its various occupants. The actual footprint of the original House includes the Seanad Chamber and support areas, the Library Reading Room, the Main Lobby Hall and corridor towards the Dáil stairwell, the Ceann Comhairle’s Office, the Cathaoirleach’s Office, the General Office and the Enquiries Office. The Dáil Chamber, the committee rooms and the Members’ offices are not affected by the conservation works.
Over the last 270 years there have been many changes to the occupancy of the House. The wear and tear on the fabric of the House has become evident and initial conservation steps were taken to protect the ornate ceilings and other historic features. The internal fabric of the House has been carefully managed over the years, however, it is now time to address the underlying issues in order to meet the longer term conservation needs of the House.
With this in mind, investigation works will take place shortly and different specialists will conduct surveys of the entire building. This is to ensure that the works are conducted safely and scheduled to minimise disruption to the work of the parliament, to members and staff and to the public.
Preliminary investigation works will take place in late 2016, with the main works being undertaken in 2017 and completed in the summer of 2018.