Sub-Committee on Ireland’s Future in the European Union to hold First meeting today
Press Release 8 October 2008
The first meeting of the Oireachtas Sub Committee on Ireland’s future in the European Union will meet today at 1:30 pm, in Committee Room 4 in Leinster House.
The Sub-Committee was established following the result of the Lisbon Treaty Referendum. The Sub-Committee will analyse the challenges facing Ireland following the Lisbon Treaty referendum result and consider Ireland’s future in the EU. Its discussions aim to contribute to an open, comprehensive and sincere debate on Ireland’s future relationship with the EU and its findings will seek to inform Government as it prepares a way forward.
The Sub-Committee will be chaired by Senator Paschal Donohoe, Fine Gael, and includes members from Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil, Labour, Sinn Féin, the Green Party and an Independent. (full membership attached)
The Sub-Committee will meet up to three times a week and is scheduled to produce its report within eight weeks. Witnesses from political, civic and Non-governmental Organisations will appear before the Sub-Committee.
Chair of the Oireachtas Sub-Committee on Ireland’s Future in Europe, Senator Paschal Donohoe said:
"Although Ireland decided not to ratify the Lisbon Treaty, research has indicated that the large majority of Irish people have a positive attitude towards the EU.
However, the rejection of the Lisbon treaty has forced us to re-evaluate our relationship with Europe. Over the course of the coming weeks, this cross party Sub-Committee will hear a diverse range of opinions regarding Ireland’s role within Europe. These discussions will not only be the basis for our final report but will serve as a robust national debate on Ireland’s future in the EU."
For broadcast sound or video from committee please contact the Oireachtas broadcast unit on (01) 618 3789
To attend this meeting you must be accredited to attend briefings in Leinster House. To arrange for accreditation for the event or for further information please contact
Oireachtas Committee Press Officer
Note to Editor:
The full membership of the Sub-Committee is:
Senator Paschal Donohoe, Fine Gael (Chairman)
Thomas Byrne, TD (Fine Fáil)
Joe Costello, TD, (Labour)
Lucinda Creighton, TD (Fine Gael)
Timmy Dooley, TD (Fianna Fáil)
Beverly Flynn, TD (Fianna Fáil)
Michael McGrath, TD (Fianna Fáil)
Billy Timmins, TD (Fine Gael)
Senator Deirdre deBurca (GP)
Senator Pearse Doherty (Sinn Féin)
Senator Ronan Mullen, (Independent)
Senator Phil Prendergast, (Lab)
Dáil Éireann on 2 October 2008 ordered:
1. That a sub-Committee of the Select Committee on European Affairs be appointed to be joined with a sub-Committee of the Select Committee on European Affairs, to be appointed by Seanad Éireann, to form a Sub-Committee of the Joint Committee on European Affairs which shall be called the ‘Sub-Committee on Ireland’s future in the European Union’ to:
and shall report thereon to the Joint Committee on European Affairs by 28 November, 2008.
2. The Sub-Committee shall have the powers defined in Standing Order 83(1), (2) and (4) to (9) inclusive.
3. The Membership of the Sub-Committee shall be, Deputies Thomas Byrne, Joe Costello, Lucinda Creighton, Timmy Dooley, Beverley Flynn, Michael McGrath, and Billy Timmins.
4. The Minister for Foreign Affairs (or a Minister or Minister of State nominated in his or her stead) shall be an ex officio member of the Sub-Committee and shall be entitled to attend and to vote
5. The quorum of the Sub-Committee shall be 4.
6. Members of the European Parliament elected from constituencies in Ireland may attend meetings of the Sub-Committee and may take part in proceedings without having a right to vote or to move motions and amendments
|Users who read this document also viewed..|
|25 January 2004 -||Display page for Members of the Houses of the Oireachtas more ...|
|02 May 2008 -||The Joint Committee on European Scrutiny this week held an more ...|
|22 May 2008 -||The Chairman, Deputy John Perry T.D. and the Members of the more ...|
|15 October 2008 -||The Sub-Committee on Ireland's Future in the European Union will more ...|
|21 October 2008 -||Press Rrelease 21st October 2008. Mr. Paul Rellis, Managing more ...|