The Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government, Alan Kelly, has made Orders appointing the dates and times, as set out below, for the forthcoming general election of Members to Seanad Éireann.
Under Article 18.8 of the Constitution a general election for the Seanad must take place not later than 90 days after a dissolution of the Dáil. The 31st Dáil was dissolved by proclamation of the President on 3 February 2016 therefore the Seanad election must take place not later than 3 May 2016. The Seanad is comprised of 60 members, 11 of whom are nominated by An Taoiseach. The remaining 49 seats are contested in a general election – 43 seats by way of an election for panel members and 6 seats by way of an election for university members. For both the panel and university members, the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government is required to make an order within 7 days after the dissolution of the Dáil appointing dates and times for the successive stages in the election process.
• The period for nominations by Nominating Bodies will expire at noon on Monday 14 March 2016.
• The period for nominations by members of the Oireachtas will expire at noon on Monday 21 March 2016.
• The Seanad Returning Officer will sit for the completion of the panels on Wednesday 30 March 2016.
• The ballot papers will be issued to the electorate on Monday 11 April 2016.
• The poll will close at 11.00 a.m. on Monday 25 April 2016.
The period for nominations in the university constituencies will expire on Thursday 3 March 2016.
• The ballot papers will be issued to the electorate on Monday 21 March 2016.
• The poll will close at 11.00 a.m. on Tuesday 26 April 2016.