Houses of the Oireachtas IPTV service on the Government Networks
This service changed to widescreen on 1 December 2006
Please note that this multicast IPTV service is only available on the Government Networks in Ireland.
That is, this service is available to Government Departments, Offices and Agencies connected to the Government Networks.
The televisions channels are converted from the SDI video format supplied by the Oireachtas Broadcasting Unit, and and provided as multicast MPEG4 at 1.2 MBit/sec. using digital encoders.
This service is provided in association with the HEAnet and the Department of Pubic Expenditure and Reform.
Live coverage of the Dáil, Seanad, and 4 committee channels is now available.
The IPTV service can be viewed using a PC or using a STB (set top box) and a television with a SCART connection.
- PC Based
- The client software required is made up of two components:
- The Elecard MPEG Player (currently version 4.5 and costing US$20) and
- the Elecard AVC PlugIn for MPEG Player (currently version 2.0 and costing US$30).
- This software is available from http://www.elecard.com
- Listed below are the minimum system requirements as well as the recommended system requirements. Due to the high level of processing required for multicast video streaming the recommended specifications will significantly improve the end user experience:
- Hardware (Minimum Recommended)
- Pentium III, Celeron, AMD, etc Pentium III/IV, AMD 2800+
- 128 MB RAM 512 MB RAM
- Any VGA Card Direct X Compliant
- 15 MB Hard disk space 15 MB Hard disk space
- Operating system
- Windows 98/Me/2000/XP Windows 2000/XP
- STB Based
- Using an Amino A124 Set Top Box the multicast channels can be viewed from a television equipped with a
SCART socket. The 6 channels are then presented as channels 1 – 6 on the set top box.
- The STB requires a standard power socket and an Ethernet connection on the LAN.
- The STB can use both static and DHCP
configured ip addresses.
The IPTV Gov MPEG4 service is available to Government Departments, Offices and agencies on the Government Networks, provided in association with the Department of Finance.
Update July 2009
The A125 is the current STB. It's the direct sucessor to the A124 that was previously recommended. http://www.aminocom.com/index.asp?PageID=2145848491
The open source media player VLC now supports the codec used by this system.
AVC plugins are available from Elecard. These plugins can be used with a number of media players. Details can be found here:
(1) Download the latest version of VLC from www.videolan.org and install it (note that earlier versions don’t support the required codec, so don’t skip this step if you already have an older version)
(2) Start VLC
(3) Select "Open Network…" from the "Media Menu"
(4) From the "Protocol" dropdown, select "UDP"
(5) In the "Address" field enter "22.214.171.124"
(6) In the "Port" field enter "2001"
It should now look like this:-
(7) Click “Play”
Should all relevant access rules be correct, you will see the Dáil.
There are six channels available:-
Address Port Description
126.96.36.199 2001 Dáil
188.8.131.52 2002 Seanad
184.108.40.206 2003 Committee Room 1
220.127.116.11 2004 Committee Room 2
18.104.22.168 2005 Committee Room 3
22.214.171.124 2006 Committee Room 4
Further details about the MPEG4 IPTV service on the Government Networks are available in this document: .
For technical queries, please contact
Department of Public Expenditure and Reform,
Phone: +353 (0) 1 604 5018.
For further information, or comments about this Parliamentary IPTV service, please contact:
Mr. Leo Bollins, Webmaster - Principal Clerk, Communications Unit,
Houses of the Oireachtas Service,
Phone: + 353 (0) 1 618 3568
Fax: + 353 (0) 1 618 4035
For queries in relation to Oireachtas broadcasting, please contact:
Ms Cáit Hayes
Broadcast Manager, Oireachtas Broadcasting Unit
Houses of the Oireachtas Service
Phone: + 353 (0) 1 618 4250
Fax: + 353 (0) 1 618 4246
e-mail: Broadcast.Manager@Oireachtas.ie or Cait.Hayes@oireachtas.ie
|Users who read this document also viewed..
|01 October 2005 -|| The Joint Committee on Broadcasting and Parliamentary more ...
|22 December 2003 -|| Houses of the Oireachtas home page, including This Week in the more ...
|08 December 2008 -|| Flash Webcasting at 640 * 360 resolution. more ...
|21 February 2006 -|| Parliamentary IPTV Multicast service of Dáil Eireann and Seanad more ...
|25 January 2007 -|| For a full Listing of Acts prior to 2003 (See more ...