Ceisteanna—Questions, Oral Answers. - County Carlow River.


asked the Minister for Finance if he will make funds available to clear the River Berrin from Hanover Bridge, Carlow to the River Barrow.

There are no funds available to my office from which a grant for this work could be made.

Would the Parliamentary Secretary inform me how funds can be obtained to have this river cleaned at the points stated and at which flooding has been caused in Carlow town? Surely it is a matter for his office.

I suggest the Deputy consult his county council.

I do not think there are funds available in the county council. My concern in raising this matter is because the streets in Carlow town have been flooded during the past three years. Is this the type of answer that we get? It does not matter about the people.

I have checked back to 1965 and no application came to my Department or to the Department of Local Government in regard to the flooding in Carlow.

Is the Parliamentary Secretary——

We cannot have a debate on this matter.

Will the Chair allow me one final supplementary? Is the Parliamentary Secretary aware that in the last six months I sent two letters to him in regard to making funds available for the clearing of the Burrin and that was during the dry season when it would only have cost a few hundred pounds? Now he says there is no reference to this at all.

I am very sorry; I cannot make funds personally available to Deputy Governey. It is beyond the powers of the Acts under which we operate. I have your letter of 1st September and I have your letter of 30th September, 1969. The point is that the Carlow flooding cannot be contained unless the Carlow County Council take care of it.

Could I ask the Minister——

The Deputy said he would ask one supplementary.

Can I take it, a Cheann Comhairle, the Parliamentary Secretary said no funds are available unless from the Carlow County Council?

That is right.