Written Answers. - Illegal House Conversions.


asked the Minister for the Environment the action he proposes to take to control the upsurge in the illegal conversion of houses into multiple flats.

Under the Local Government (Planning and Development) Acts, 1963-1983, the duty of taking enforcement proceedings in the case of unauthorised development or unauthorised change of use is entrusted to planning authorities in the first instance. There are sufficient powers in the legislation to enable planning authorities to take appropriate action.

It is also open to any individual or group to seek an order in the High Court under section 27 of the Local Government (Planning and Development) Act, 1976, requiring compliance with the terms of a planning permission or the discontinuance of an unauthorised use.