Written Answers. - Compulsory Purchase Orders.

Eamon Gilmore


244 Mr. Gilmore asked the Minister for the Environment whether in road widening schemes by compulsory purchase order, compensation, if any, is paid; and the method of payment to (a) ground landlords, where a rent is reserved known as a disturbance and (b) lessee householders.

The legislation governing compulsory land acquisition by local authorities provides for the payment of compensation for lands acquired by them on the authorisation of a duly confirmed compulsory purchase order. Section 79 of the Housing Act, 1966, sets out the procedure whereby local authorities initiate this process by serving a notice on all owners, lessees and occupiers of land, except tenants for a month or a period less than a month, stating that they are willing to treat for the purchase of the several interests in the land. Each party is required to submit specific details to the local authority of their interest and the amount of compensation claimed. In the event of dispute, a party has recourse to the Land Values Reference Committee for the appointment of an official property arbitrator to determine the case.