Written Answers. - Redundancy Payments.

Michael Creed


122 Mr. Creed asked the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment if a person (details supplied) in County Cork is entitled to a statutory redundancy payment. [5077/00]

From inquiries made in the redundancy payments section of my Department the position is that there is no record of a claim having been received in respect of the person concerned. It is a matter for the employer in the first instance to determine whether a valid redundancy situation exists in a company and responsibility for the payment of a statutory redundancy entitlement rests with the employer. If the employer does not pay the statutory entitlement to the employee, the employee can be paid direct from the social insurance fund and my Department thus seeks re-imbursement from the employer.

The employee should contact the redundancy payments section of my Department where the officials will be able to advise him as to what steps he should take to establish his entitlement to a statutory redundancy lump sum.