Written Answers. - Teaching Qualifications.

Olwyn Enright


130 Ms Enright asked the Minister for Education and Science if a person (details supplied) will receive the H. Dip allowance; and if this person will be admitted to the superannuation scheme. [21948/02]

The H.Dip. allowance is payable to a recognised teacher who holds the higher diploma in education or an equivalent training in teaching qualification that is recognised by the registration council and my Department.

My Department decided that the person to whom the Deputy refers is not eligible for the payment of the H.Dip allowance as she does not hold the higher diploma in education or other recognised training in teaching qualification. The applicant appealed my Department's decision to the qualification allowance appeal committee, established under the PCW. The committee upheld my Department's decision.

With regard to superannuation, the person in question has been admitted to the relevant teachers' superannuation scheme with effect from 1 September 2001, the date of her first appointment. Deduction of contributions, including arrears, are being made from her salary on an ongoing basis.