“That Seanad Éireann:
- acknowledges that the Belarusian presidential election in August 2020 was neither fair nor transparent;
- rejects the democratic legitimacy of Alexander Lukashenko;
- condemns the anti-democratic actions of Alexander Lukashenko;
- rejects the show trials that have been conducted against legitimate protesters and opponents of the Lukashenko regime;
- calls for the release of all political prisoners held in Belarus in connection with, or since, the presidential election of August 2020, including those who have already been sentenced to terms of imprisonment; - calls for new elections that are free, fair and independently monitored;
- calls on the European Commission to implement more effective sanctions, to challenge the efficacy of the regime of Alexander Lukashenko.”
In moving this motion, I acknowledge the support of the Cathaoirleach and all Members in bringing it forward. It is appropriate in the week that Ms Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya is visiting Ireland and on the day that she is visiting the House of the Oireachtas that we speak with one voice in condemning the regime of Lukashenko, what is happening in Belarus, the lack of democratic legitimacy of that regime and the need for change in that jurisdiction.