Tuesday, 27 January 2004

Questions (166)

Willie Penrose


281 Mr. Penrose asked the Minister for Agriculture and Food the position of a person who requires a significant area of land and wishes to commence farming, in particular where this land has not been farmed within the previous three years; and the position whereby a person who has acquired 110 acres in June 2002, and let same for six months, and in 2003 took silage off it and commenced reclamation and improvement works, would fare in the context of the decoupling proposals; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [1734/04]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Agriculture and Food)

Under the mid-term review of Agenda 2000, entitlements will be established for farmers who actively farmed during the three reference years, 2000, 2001 and 2002. In both instances outlined in the question, the farmers concerned were not actively farming during the reference period and consequently they will not have any entitlements established for them. They may, however, be able to apply for entitlements from the national reserve when it is established in autumn 2004. As the criteria under which national reserve entitlements are to be allocated has not yet been established, it is not possible to say at this stage what their positions would be.