Tuesday, 27 January 2004

Questions (341)

Bernard J. Durkan


449 Mr. Durkan asked the Minister for Education and Science when a classroom assistant will be offered to a person (details supplied) attending St. Wolstan's school, Celbridge, County Kildare; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [1418/04]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Education and Science)

My Department allocates resource teaching support and special needs assistant support to second level schools and vocational educational committees to cater for students with special educational needs. Applications for such support are made to my Department by the relevant school authorities. Each application is considered on the basis of the assessed needs of the pupil(s) involved and the nature and level of support provided is determined on the advice of the psychological service.

St. Wolstan's community school has been allocated resource teacher and special needs assistant support to address the needs of the student in question and a number of other students with special educational needs attending the school.