Tuesday, 3 February 2004

Questions (187)

Olwyn Enright


315 Ms Enright asked the Minister for Education and Science if a report will be sought in relation to a person (details supplied) in County Westmeath who was attending a school but has not been allocated extra resource hours or access to laptop facilities even though both have been recommended for them. [2835/04]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Education and Science)

My Department allocates resource teaching support and special needs assistants support to second level schools and vocational educational committees to cater for students with special educational needs. Applications for such support are made to my Department by the relevant school authorities. Each application is considered on the basis of the assessed needs of the pupil(s) involved and the nature and level of support provided is determined on the advice of the psychological service.

I am pleased to inform the Deputy that the school in question has been allocated additional resource teacher support to address the needs of the student in question and a number of other students with special educational needs attending the school. The school authorities have been notified accordingly.

I understand that my Department has not received any application from the school in question in relation to the provision of computer facilities for the student to whom the Deputy refers. Any such application will be fully considered.