Skip to main content
Normal View

Special Educational Needs

Dáil Éireann Debate, Thursday - 7 April 2011

Thursday, 7 April 2011

Questions (46)

John Paul Phelan


46 Deputy John Paul Phelan asked the Minister for Education and Skills if a special needs assistant will be provided in respect of a person (details supplied) in County Kilkenny; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [7138/11]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Education and Skills)

I wish to advise the Deputy that the National Council for Special Education (NCSE) is responsible, through its network of local Special Educational Needs Organisers (SENOs) for allocating resource teachers and Special Needs Assistants (SNAs) to schools to support children with special educational needs. The NCSE operates within my Department's criteria in allocating such support.

I have arranged for the details supplied to be forwarded to the NCSE for their attention and direct reply.

All schools have the names and contact details of their local SENO. Parents may also contact their local SENO directly to discuss their child's special educational needs, using the contact details available on