Thursday, 5 July 2012

Questions (96)

Bernard J. Durkan


96 Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Social Protection if she will review the case of a person (details supplied) in County Kildare; if a full investigation will be undertaken; if the current case will be examined; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [32938/12]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Social Protection)

The person concerned has applied for rent supplement at the rate applicable to himself and one child and not two as stated in the question. In cases where parents have joint custody of a child, the needs of both parents to have adequate accommodation to look after the child are taken into account when an application for a rent supplement is being determined. In this case, rent supplement at the higher rate has been refused to the applicant as his child is being adequately accommodated with the mother. The refusal has been upheld by the HSE appeals office. Rent Supplement can only be awarded when the person concerned reduces his rent to the limit for a single person. As things stand at present, this rent is in excess of that amount.