Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Questions (186)

Maureen O'Sullivan

Question:

190 Deputy Maureen O’Sullivan asked the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform if he will consider amending legislation with regard to lottery winners to allow that any prize in excess of €100,000 will be paid in the form of 90% cash with the remaining 10% being paid to the prizewinner’s designated charity, an organisation in good standing with the Revenue Commissioners and in possession of certificates of charitable exemption and authorisation as an eligible charity; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35349/12]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Expenditure)

As the Deputy is aware, I announced on 4th April 2012 that the Government has decided to hold a competition for the next National Lottery licence.

Since April, my Department has carried out a considerable amount of preparatory work for the competition. It will be necessary to revise the National Lottery Act which was enacted in 1986. My Department is currently carrying out the necessary preparatory work on the legislation in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General. I expect to be in a position to submit draft Heads of a Bill for Government approval in the near future.

I note the Deputy's proposal as outlined in her question. The implications of any proposals in relation to the National Lottery will need to be carefully considered in the context of the revision of the National Lottery Act 1986.