Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Questions (40)

Sandra McLellan


39 Deputy Sandra McLellan asked the Minister for Social Protection her views on whether holders of a PSV licence are being informed that they would have to give up the licence altogether in order to qualify for a jobseeker’s payment; and her views on whether this is counterproductive in view of the fact that it would take some time to replace which may hamper the persons ability to find and take up employment. [34945/12]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Social Protection)

Self-employed people, including taxi drivers, can apply for the means-tested jobseeker's allowance if their business ceases or if they are on low income as a result of a downturn in demand for their services. If a taxi driver has ceased operating in the taxi business completely, the Department requires a letter from the Taxi Regulator confirming that the customer has surrendered his or her PSV licence. This is required, along with other evidence, so that the Department is satisfied that the customer is no longer receiving an income from self-employment in the taxi business. If a self-employed customer is still trading as a taxi driver he or she does not have to surrender the PSV licence in order to claim jobseeker's allowance. Means from self-employment will be assessed to determine the level of jobseeker's allowance paid to the person. It is recognised that the present downturn in the economy is having a significant impact on many self-employed persons and the consequent reduction in their income and activity levels would be reflected in any assessment of their means from self-employment for jobseeker's allowance purposes.

If a self-employed person's situation changes after they have made an initial claim for jobseeker's allowance, the person can apply to have his or her means reviewed in the light of these changed circumstances.