Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Questions (440)

Peter Mathews


450 Deputy Peter Mathews asked the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government the maximum noise levels that are permitted in apartments; the authority to whom a complaint should be made regarding excessive noise; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [34628/12]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government)

Currently, a person experiencing noise nuisance may contact their local authority, which may initiate proceedings on grounds of noise nuisance under the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992. This Act also provides for any person, or group of persons, to seek an order in the District Court to have noise giving reasonable cause for annoyance abated. The procedures involved have been simplified to allow action to be taken without legal representation.

A public information leaflet A Guide to the Noise Regulations, outlining the legal avenues available to persons experiencing noise nuisance, is available on my Department’s website www.environ.ie.