Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Questions (467)

Catherine Murphy


477 Deputy Catherine Murphy asked the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government if he is aware of the difficulties posed to separated parents by the housing policies of some local authorities that assess the non-custodian parent as a single applicant for the purpose of housing; if there is a reason for the disparity among the local authorities in relation to this policy; if he is aware that policies that assess a parent as a single parent for the purpose of housing, are having a negative impact on that parent's ability to secure access to their child or children; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35046/12]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government)

Decisions on the eligibility of specific households for social housing support and the allocation of that support are a matter solely for the housing authority concerned.

It is a matter for individual housing authorities to decide on the type and size of dwellings to be allocated to applicants on their waiting lists. This policy is decided in their Allocation Schemes, the making of which is a reserved function of the housing authority. I understand, however, that some authorities make provision for an extra bedroom space when making an allocation to single or separated parents with children for whom they have joint custody.