Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Questions (619)

Noel Harrington


633 Deputy Noel Harrington asked the Minister for Defence the State agencies and bodies within the remit of his Department that have the power to enter or search premises in the course of an investigation; if they need a search warrant; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [35312/12]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Defence)

Amongst the roles assigned to the Defence Forces in the White Paper on Defence (2000) is to provide Aid to the Civil Power (ATCP) which, in practice, means to assist An Garda Síochána when requested to do so. This role may occasionally involve assisting Gardaí in carrying out searches. Separately, in the course of an investigation the Military Police may enter or search premises that are the property of the Department of Defence. No search warrant is required for a search by Military Police personnel of such premises. In addition, the Naval Service has powers to unilaterally intervene at sea. These powers include the right to board ships, to inspect ships and their cargos, and to seize goods.