Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Questions (696)

Sean Fleming


710 Deputy Sean Fleming asked the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs the full list of allowances that are not subject to income tax and the rates applicable that are available to her and Ministers of State in her Department in respect of their official duties including allowances relating to periods when they are away from their offices, either within the State or abroad; the actual amounts claimed and paid since 9 March 2011 to her and Ministers of State; if these are currently under review; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [35058/12]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Minister for Children and Youth Affairs)

The Oireachtas (Allowances and Facilities) Regulations 2010 govern the provisions of the Parliamentary Standard Allowance payable to members of the Oireachtas. I can confirm that in addition to the Parliamentary Standard Allowance, Ministers are entitled to claim motor transport in respect of the use of their own private car for official business purposes.

Under the motor transport arrangements in place for Cabinet Ministers, a travel allowance based on a distance of up to 96,540 kilometres per annum may be claimed to cover costs associated with the provision of my own car. The rates involved are:

Official Motor Travel in a calendar year

Engine Capacity up to 1200cc

Engine Capacity up to 1201cc to 1500cc

Engine Capacity up to 1500cc to 2000cc

Engine Capacity 2000cc and over

Up to 6,437km

39.12 cent

46.25 cent

59.07 cent

70.89 cent

6,438km and over

21.22 cent

23.62 cent

28.46 cent

34.15 cent

Ministers on official overnight business away from their home or headquarters may claim the vouched cost of a hotel room including tax and up to 15% in respect of any service charge. In addition, overnight subsistence allowances are payable in respect of absences from headquarters or home on official business in Ireland and abroad. The subsistence allowance for a Minister is in the following table:


10 hours or more

5 hours or more




To-date, I have claimed €17,268.90 in regard to use of my personal car on official business. I have not claimed any subsistence allowance in respect of being away from headquarters on official business. My colleague, the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, is currently examining allowances payable across the civil and public service and the outcome of this review is expected shortly.