Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Questions (165)

Patrick O'Donovan


165. Deputy Patrick O'Donovan asked the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform the funding available for homes that are flooded due to river flooding through the Office of Public Works; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10734/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Public)

The Office of Public Works does not provide direct financial assistance to individual households affected by flooding.

Households experiencing exceptional financial distress as a result of flooding can apply for Humanitarian Aid which is administered by the Department of the Social Protection. Details on Humanitarian Aid and Urgent Needs Allowances are available on that Department’s website

The focus of the OPW's work is to manage flood risk both at the strategic level, through the Catchment Flood Risk Assessment and Management (CFRAM) programme, and more directly, through its flood relief capital works investment programme.

Details of the CFRAM programme can be found at

The OPW, in partnership with local authorities, undertakes or funds both major and minor flood relief capital works throughout Ireland. Under the Government's Infrastructure and Capital Investment Medium Term Exchequer Framework 2012 - 2016, a total allocation of €225 million has been made for the flood relief capital investment programme over the 5 year period of the framework. The major flood relief schemes funded under the programme, such as in Mallow and Clonmel for example, provide protection to a large number of households and commercial properties and are designed to protect against the 1 in 100 year flood event.

In addition, under the Minor Works scheme, the OPW funds smaller scale, more localised flood relief works and measures carried out by local authorities in their administrative areas. Local authorities may apply for funding assistance, subject to meeting the criteria for the scheme and the availability of funds.