My Department collates and publishes a wide range of housing and planning statistics that inform the preparation and evaluation of policy and those data are available on my Department’s website, www.environ.ie.
Data on the number of local authority and voluntary and co-operative units delivered are included as part of that range. Data from 2012 are still being finalised and will be released in due course.
Given the current volatility of the market and different challenges to the channels of supply, it is difficult to estimate the likely output of new units for social housing this year. However, it is provisionally estimated that in excess of 5,000 units will be provided for social housing in 2013. This will include:
- 350 units for people with special housing needs;
- 150 units specifically for people leaving institutional care;
- an additional 400 permanent homes delivered through capital expenditure under the Social Housing Investment Programme;
- 300 transfers under the Mortgage to Rent Scheme;
- some 4,000 units will be delivered under social leasing, including property transfers from NAMA, the Rental Accommodation Scheme and mortgage to lease.