Thursday, 2 May 2013

Questions (138)

Bernard Durkan


138. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Social Protection the extent to which exceptional needs payment might be made available to a person (details supplied) in County Kildare; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [21067/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Social)

Under the supplementary welfare allowance (SWA) scheme, the Department may make a single exceptional needs payment to help meet essential, once-off, exceptional and unforeseen expenditure which a person could not reasonably be expected to meet out of their weekly income.

The costs incurred by the person concerned in providing a diabetic diet for her daughter are on-going in nature and therefore are not eligible for funding by way of exceptional needs payments.