Thursday, 2 May 2013

Questions (165)

Pearse Doherty


165. Deputy Pearse Doherty asked the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government if there is any scheme in place in his Department for former council tenants or those on low incomes to avail of financial assistance to carry out essential home repairs; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [20975/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Environment)

In the case of privately owned properties, grants are available under my Department’s Housing Adaptation Grants for Older People and People With a Disability to assist households to have necessary repairs, adaptations or improvement works carried out in order to meet the accommodation needs of an older person or a person with a disability. The suite of grants include three separate grant measures; the Mobility Aids Grant scheme with grants of up to €6,000, the Housing Aid for Older People scheme with grants of up to €10,500 and the Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability with grants of up to €30,000, depending on household income. Exchequer allocations for 2013 totalling some €42.750 million were notified to local authorities in February 2013 in respect of these schemes which are ad ministered by the local authorities. Outside of these grant schemes, there are no other grants available from my Department in respect of repairs to privately owned properties.