Thursday, 2 May 2013

Questions (81)

Pat Breen


81. Deputy Pat Breen asked the Minister for Education and Skills further to Parliamentary Question No. 251 of 22 January 2013, if he will provide an update in the status of an application (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [20887/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

The National Council for Special Education (NCSE) is responsible, through its network of local Special Educational Needs Organisers (SENOs) for allocating Resource Teachers and Special Needs Assistants to schools to support children with special educational needs. SENOs also make recommendations to my Department where assistive technology support is required. The NCSE operates within my Department's criteria in recommending such support.

I can confirm that an application for Assistive Technology support for Patrick Ward was sanctioned by my Department on 24th January, 2013. Once equipment has been sanctioned, it is a matter for school authorities to arrange for the purchase of the equipment for use by the pupil in the school.