Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Questions (106)

Robert Troy


106. Deputy Robert Troy asked the Minister for Health his views on whether services for persons with spina bifida are sufficient to their needs; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [30444/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

I have met with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus Ireland (SBHI) on numerous occasions since taking office and I am very familiar with their work on behalf of and with individuals and their families. More recently I met with the organisation in March of this year and I had the pleasure of launching their Creativity and Life Skills Programme in April. The organisation's family support workers provide information, guidance, advocacy, emotional and practical support to people with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus and their families and to healthcare and educational professionals and to others working within the disability sector. The Health Service Executive (HSE) has a service level agreement with SBHI and in 2012 provided funding of €951,000 to support their work.

It is open to people with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus conditions to avail of the wide range of health and personal social services and specialist disability services provided by the HSE. The Government also provides other supports, including income supports through the Department of Social Protection, tax reliefs through the Revenue Commissioners, housing supports through local authorities etc.