The individual referred to in the Deputy’s Question has applied for compensation under the cessation of turf cutting compensation scheme, administered by my Department. The qualifying criteria for this scheme are that:
- the claimant must have a legal interest in one of the 53 raised bog special areas of conservation – ownership or turbary right;
- the claimant must have been the owner or entitled to exercise turbary rights on the land in question on 25 May 2010;
- the turbary on the site must not be exhausted;
- the claimant must have been cutting turf on the land in question during the relevant five year period; and
- no turf cutting or associated activity is ongoing on the property.
From an examination of the application submitted to my Department, it appears that the turbary on the applicable site is exhausted.
My Department has recently written to the applicant setting out its decision on the application.