Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Questions (423)

Michael McGrath


423. Deputy Michael McGrath asked the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government if local authorities are permitted to sell social housing units in order to fund the refurbishment of vacant social housing stock; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [30313/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Environment)

Local authorities are only permitted to sell social housing stock in specific circumstances such as where there is no longer a demand for the property and it cannot be let.  All such sales, except through a tenant purchase scheme, must be approved by my Department.  Monies generated by the sale of housing stock form part of local authority internal capital receipts.  Local authorities can use these monies through an approved programme of works which can include the refurbishment of vacant stock.