Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Questions (560)

Finian McGrath


560. Deputy Finian McGrath asked the Minister for Health the rules governing the entitlements of Irish citizens under EU regulations, in relation to an over 70 years medical card, when they were previously entitled to the medical card equivalent from the Health Authority in another EU Member State. [30173/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

EU Regulation 883/04 provides for and supports the movement of people within the European Union/European Economic Area and Switzerland. Under this regulation, if a person aged 70 years and over is not entitled to a contributory social insurance payment (e.g. pension) from Ireland and is in receipt of a contributory pension from another/or multiple other EU states, excluding Ireland, they can apply for a medical card to be granted under the Regulation if they return to live in Ireland.