Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Questions (588)

Michael Healy-Rae


588. Deputy Michael Healy-Rae asked the Minister for Health his views on correspondence (details supplied) regarding the treatment of a person at Cork University Hospital; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [30322/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

The HSE has a well established procedure for managing feedback and complaints in relation to experiences of individuals and their families in our hospitals. The details of the formal complaints policy are available on the HSE website, at www.hse.ie/eng/services/ysys/Complaint. In addition, advice and instructions for making complaints and feedback about a service or an individual may be found at www.healthcomplaints.ie. In accordance with this procedure, a complaint must be made in the first instance to the hospital in which the incident causing the complaint occurred.

The HSE also has a National Advocacy Unit. Their role includes promoting clear communication between health care providers and patients following an adverse event in health services, and mediation and facilitation for complaints handling. The Advocacy Unit also has a national role in liaising with the Office of the Ombudsman. If an individual is not satisfied with the way their complaint was dealt with, a review can be sought from the HSE Director of Advocacy whose details are as follows: HSE Director of Advocacy, Oak House, Millennium Park, Naas,Co Kildare - Tel 1890 424 555. If an individual is not happy with the outcome of the review they may request an independent review from the Office of the Ombudsman or Ombudsman for Children, whose details are as follows: Office of the Ombudsman, 18, Lower Leeson Street, Dublin 2, Tel 1890 223 030, Email: ombudsman@ombudsman.gov.ie.

In relation to this specific query, I have asked the HSE to respond to you directly regarding the assistance that their National Advocacy Service may be in a position to provide.

Question No. 589 answered with Question No. 82.