Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Questions (172)

Brendan Griffin


172. Deputy Brendan Griffin asked the Minister for Social Protection if a person in receipt of carer's allowance must declare to the Department, for means purposes, the receipt of a rebate for past medical expenses incurred; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [33708/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Social)

To qualify for carer’s allowance the applicant must satisfy a means test. The income which is taken into account for the means test is set out in legislation and regulations and described in the information material produced for the scheme. Money received as a rebate of past medical expenses, say under a scheme of medical insurance, is not assessable. However, money received as compensation arising from an accident or injury may be assessable and should be declared. In general, if a person on a means-tested scheme is unsure of any aspect relating to their income or means and how it might affect their social welfare payment, they should provide full details to the Department and they will receive clarification.