Thursday, 24 October 2013

Questions (259)

Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin

Question:

259. Deputy Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin asked the Minister for Health in view of recent statistics from the OECD which indicate that only 67% of health spending in the State is funded by Government revenues, if he will provide a detailed breakdown of the proportion of the remaining 33% that is provided by out-of-pocket payments by persons and the proportion by private health insurance; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [45499/13]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

For the most recent year available, 2011, OECD data on total health expenditure showed that 33% of expenditure was funded by private sources. Private insurance expenditure accounted for 11.9% of total health expenditure while out-of-pocket payments accounted for 18.1%. Corporations, other than health insurance, made up the remaining 3%.