Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Questions (553)

Patrick O'Donovan


553. Deputy Patrick O'Donovan asked the Minister for Defence if military records in respect of a person (details supplied) in County Wexford may be released to that person; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [5696/14]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Defence)

I have been advised by the military authorities that the Defence Forces as a matter of routine provide access to individuals seeking their personal military records (personnel files) in the case of both serving and retired members. This access is best achieved through an application from the individual under the Freedom of Information Acts 1997 & 2003. This application should be made in writing to the Defence Forces Freedom of Information Officer, Defence Forces Headquarters, Station Road, Newbridge, Co. Kildare. The individual needs only to cite the Freedom of Information Acts and indicate the information required. The Freedom of Information Office in the Defence Forces are more than happy to assist or advise this person and are available at 045 492577/2578. Further information can also be obtained from the Defence Forces website at www.military.ie under the link Freedom of Information.