Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Questions (276)

Pádraig MacLochlainn


276. Deputy Pádraig Mac Lochlainn asked the Minister for Social Protection if it is correct procedure for a separated person who lives in alternative accommodation and has the family home, which is in negative equity and rented out, to have the rent which is paid directly to the mortgage company assessed as means when applying for one-parent family allowance. [14984/14]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Social)

Where a person moves out of what was their family home to reside elsewhere, the estimated capital value of what was the family home, less outstanding mortgage, is assessed as it is no longer considered to be the person's principal private residence. Where the outstanding mortgage is higher than the estimated market value of the property, no capital means are assessed. In these circumstances, rental income would not be assessed. If the Deputy's question refers to an individual customer, he can forward the details to me and I will have the case examined. Alternatively, the person should enquire at their Social Welfare Intreo Centre or Local Office.