Thursday, 17 April 2014

Questions (263)

Martin Ferris


263. Deputy Martin Ferris asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport if his Department accepts a UK decommissioning certificate and an EU ITC 69 certificate, stating kilowatts and tonnage. [18318/14]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Transport)

My Department is not familiar with the term “ decommissioning certificate" in the context of the functions of the Marine Survey Office. However, the term may be applicable to a situation whereby a fishing vessel is removed from a Flag State’s Fishing Register in the context of a grant scheme.  Where the UK undertakes a  certification process and then removes vessels from its register,  my  Department would accept such a certificate for the sole purpose of confirming that the  vessel referred to on the certificate has left the UK register.

In relation to the Deputy's reference to EU ITC 69, I should like to clarify that ITC  69 arises in an  International Maritime Organisation (IMO) context rather than an  EU context. ITCs or International Tonnage Certificates are issued by contracting states of the International Tonnage Convention 1969 to vessels of 24 metres length and over. An ITC includes details of the vessel’s dimensions and tonnages, but does not state the kilowatts (power) of the vessel.  My Department will accept such certificates issued by another contracting state, subject to checking  the tonnage computation.