Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Questions (573)

Dara Murphy


573. Deputy Dara Murphy asked the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government when funding will be released to Cork City Council for adaptation works on local authority houses for persons with a disability in 2014 (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [23327/14]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Environment)

The management and maintenance of the social housing stock, including the compilation and funding of on-going maintenance programmes and minor adaptation works, is a matter for individual housing authorities.

Local authorities were advised earlier this year that funding for adaptations and extensions would be considered on a case by case basis. Authorities should, as far as possible, undertake and fund these works from own resources, including from Internal Capital Receipts (ICRs), before seeking Exchequer funding. My Department recently requested local authorities to report on their ICR-funded housing improvement works programme for 2014 and these returns are currently being examined. Requests for funding for adaptations and extensions to local authority houses will be considered in the light of the available own resources to undertake these works.