Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Questions (989)

Billy Timmins


989. Deputy Billy Timmins asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport if he will reconsider the necessity for vintage tractors to have roll bars; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [23271/14]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Transport)

All land tractors, irrespective of age, are legally required to have appropriate ROPS, sometimes referred to as anti-roll bars, safety frames or safety cabs fitted. Since the 1st September 1977, under Statutory Instrument No. 138 of 1969 - Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations, 1969, land tractors used in a public place are required to be fitted with a safety frame, or a safety cab designed to protect the driver in the event that a tractor might overturn. There are no exemptions for older tractors or for those engaged in non-agricultural use such as in vintage runs. Section 20 of the Rules of the Road also makes reference to this requirement. I have received no proposal to change these regulations.