Wednesday, 4 June 2014

Questions (111)

Finian McGrath


111. Deputy Finian McGrath asked the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local Government the rights those on the rental accommodation scheme have when their landlords want them to move out; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [23656/14]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Environment)

Accommodation provided under the Rental Accommodation Scheme is governed by the terms of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004, as amended. The grounds upon which a tenancy in the private rented residential sector may be legally terminated are clearly set out in the 2004 Act. The Act provides the main regulatory framework for the private rented residential sector and provides for security of tenure. It also specifies minimum obligations for landlords and tenants under a tenancy.

Under the terms of the scheme, local authorities retain the responsibility to source further accommodation for a RAS household should the dwelling that the household is living in become unavailable through no fault of their own.