Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Questions (318)

Martin Heydon


318. Deputy Martin Heydon asked the Minister for Social Protection if an appeal in relation to disability allowance will be expedited in respect of a person (detail supplied) in County Kildare; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [24321/14]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Social)

The Social Welfare Appeals Office has advised me that an appeal by the person concerned was registered in that office on 12 May 2014. It is a statutory requirement of the appeals process that the relevant Departmental papers and comments by the Deciding Officer on the grounds of appeal be sought. When these papers have been received from the Department, the case in question will be referred to an Appeals Officer who will make a summary decision on the appeal based on the documentary evidence presented or, if required, hold an oral appeal hearing.

If the means of the person concerned are insufficient to meet his needs pending the completion of the appeal process, it is open to him to make an application for Supplementary Welfare Allowance. The Social Welfare Appeals Office functions independently of the Minister for Social Protection and of the Department and is responsible for determining appeals against decisions in relation to social welfare entitlements.