Tuesday, 21 March 2017

Questions (430)

Éamon Ó Cuív


430. Deputy Éamon Ó Cuív asked the Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government if his Department has received an application for funding under the Traveller accommodation programme from Galway City Council in respect of a two bed extension of a property in Galway city (details supplied); when a decision will be made in relation to this application in view of the fact that the application for a housing extension was made to Galway City Council over a year ago; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [13274/17]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

Traveller Accommodation Programmes (TAPs) are strategic five-year rolling programmes for the provision of Traveller accommodation in a local authority area, with the current round of TAPs running from 2014 to 2018. Provision for unforeseen or emerging accommodation needs, such as an extension to a local authority property as outlined in the Question, would not be reflected in TAPs and I can confirm that My Department has not received any funding application from Galway City Council under its TAP for an extension to the property in question. 

However, my Department provides funding to local authorities, including Galway City Council, under the Programme to Support Housing Adaptations and Extensions to Social Housing Units to meet the needs of households in a range of circumstances, including to address overcrowding. The management of the programme locally, and the selection, prioritisation and submission of individual projects, is a matter for each local authority. Ahead of the formal funding allocations for 2017, local authorities have scope to continue activity under the programme up to a maximum value of 65% of their 2016 allocation.