Wednesday, 31 January 2018

Questions (332)

Jan O'Sullivan


332. Deputy Jan O'Sullivan asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government his plans to establish a system to facilitate city families who are seeking social housing to relocate in rural areas in which there are vacant homes similar to Rural Resettlement Ireland (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [4825/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

The Government's Action Plan for Rural Development: Realising our Potential has a clear objective of working across Government Departments to deliver a co-ordinated group of strategies to ensure the success of vibrant rural communities across Ireland.

My Department works closely with the Department of Rural and Community Development on rural housing issues. In relation to social housing, it is possible already for people to move between local authorities under the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Scheme. My Department, as part of the broader social housing reform agenda, is also currently examining additional ways to facilitate households, who are qualified for social housing, and who may wish to relocate to rural areas. I expect the results of this work to be available later this year.