Tuesday, 27 February 2018

Questions (678)

Pat Deering


678. Deputy Pat Deering asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if a person (details supplied) has a right to apply for disability allowance in their own right. [9509/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

This gentleman is a qualified adult dependant on Invalidity Pension (INVP) since 15 June 2017.

Disability Allowance (DA) is a weekly allowance paid to people with a specified disability who are aged 16 or over and under the age of 66. This disability must be expected to last for at least one year and the allowance is subject to a medical examination, a means test and habitual residency conditions.

The weekly rate of DA payment depends on the amount of weekly means assessed. The legislative provisions regarding DA state that means will be assessed from all income which the claimant or claimant’s spouse may reasonably expect to receive during the year following the date of their claim.

It is open to the person concerned to apply for DA in their own right.

I trust this clarifies the matter for the deputy.