Tuesday, 15 May 2018

Questions (476)

Michael Healy-Rae


476. Deputy Michael Healy-Rae asked the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment if he will address a matter (details supplied) regarding Sustainabile Energy Authority of Ireland, SEAI, grants for solar panels; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [20801/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Communications)

The Better Energy Homes scheme is funded by my Department and administered by the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland. The scheme provides grant supports for energy efficiency upgrades for homeowners whose homes were built before 2006. Grants are available for attic and wall insulation, heating controls, solar thermal technology, heat pumps and getting a Building Energy Rating.

To be eligible for grant support these works must be carried out by an SEAI Registered Contractor, who is registered for the type of work that they are carrying out.

When it comes to installing renewable technologies, it is essential that it is done properly and safely, to the required standard, by qualified experts. For this reason, the specific FETAC/QQI Level 6 certificate is required in order to register with SEAI as a contractor for the domestic Solar Thermal measure. I can confirm that this course is being run in Ireland by at least one training organisation, the City of Dublin Education and Training Board. Contractors may also appoint another contractor who does have the necessary qualifications.

Further information for contractors on how to register with SEAI is available on SEAI's website: https://www.seai.ie/energy-in-business/register-with-seai/contractor/.