Wednesday, 20 June 2018

Questions (226)

Noel Grealish


226. Deputy Noel Grealish asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government the aids, incentives or grants available for the provision of low-density student accommodation at private residences; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [26944/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

My Department does not provide direct financial aid, incentives or grants for the provision of student accommodation at private residences.

However, under Action 4.10 of Rebuilding Ireland which is also mirrored in Action 18 of the National Student Accommodation Strategy, which relates to the provision of student accommodation, my Department and the Department of Education and Skills provide funding to the Union of Students of Ireland (USI) to support ongoing activities and programmes aimed at assisting students in finding accommodation and towards the administrative/research costs associated with identifying appropriate accommodation.  

This funding also provides for the USI-led ‘Homes for Study’ campaign. This initiative essentially funds a website and activities to match students with accommodation in the form of rooms in private houses. 

In addition, under the general ‘rent-a-room’ scheme, an exemption for up to €14,000 in rental income per annum for homeowners is available.  Further information on the 'Homes for Study' initiative is available at the following link:

Question No. 227 answered with Question No. 75.