Skip to main content
Normal View

Work Permits Eligibility

Dáil Éireann Debate, Tuesday - 18 September 2018

Tuesday, 18 September 2018

Questions (361)

Bernard Durkan


361. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation if a work permit is appropriate in the case of a person (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [37744/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Business)

In order to work in Ireland a non-EEA National, unless they are exempted, must hold a valid Employment Permit. The Employment Permits Section of my Department administers the Employment Permits system. All applications for employment permits are processed in line with the Employment Permits Acts and associated Regulations which lay down in legislation the criteria in relation to the application, grant and refusal of an employment permit.

The Employment Permits Section of my Department informs me that it has no record of any current application for an employment permit for the above named person (details supplied).

It should be noted that "Care workers" are currently on the Ineligible Categories of Employment. However, Dependent/Partner/Spouse Employment Permits or Reactivation Employment Permits may be granted for ineligible occupations such as care workers. The eligibility criteria in respect of these permit types are available here -

To be eligible to apply for an employment permit a non-EEA national must have a valid job offer from an Irish registered employer.

Details on how to apply for an employment permit are available on our website at the following link -

My officials have produced a comprehensive Frequently Asked Question document covering all aspects of the Employment Permits regime which is available here -

Finally, my colleague, the Minister for Justice and Equality, has responsibility for issuing immigration permissions and visas.