Tuesday, 9 October 2018

Questions (103)

Brendan Howlin


103. Deputy Brendan Howlin asked the Minister for Education and Skills the financial supports available to assist a single parent who was in full-time employment, is over the income limit for SUSI and is now returning to full-time education in order to become a qualified mental health nurse; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [40836/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

Apart from the Student Grant Scheme, students in third-level institutions experiencing exceptional financial need can apply for support under the Student Assistance Fund. This Fund assists students, in a sensitive and compassionate manner, who might otherwise be unable to continue their third level studies due to their financial circumstances. Information on the fund is available through the Access Office in the third level institution attended. This fund is administered on a confidential, discretionary basis.

Tax relief at the standard rate of tax may be claimed in respect of tuition fees paid for approved courses at approved colleges of higher education. Further information on this tax relief is available from the Revenue Commissioners at www.revenue.ie.

Some higher education institutions operate their own benevolent schemes. Prospective students should contact the Access Office in the college attended, for advice on the specific supports that might be available.