Thursday, 22 November 2018

Questions (106)

Bernard Durkan


106. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice and Equality if a travel document will issue to a person (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [48731/18]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Justice)

I am advised by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) of my Department that a person who has been granted permission to remain in the State, and who does not possess or cannot obtain a national passport, may submit an application for a travel document, which will be examined on its merits. Unlike a refugee, a person with non-protection permission to remain does not have an entitlement to be issued with a travel document, and such a document would be issued solely on a discretionary basis. Applications are examined on a case by case basis.

Queries in relation to the status of individual immigration cases may be made directly to the INIS of my Department by e-mail using the Oireachtas Mail facility which has been specifically established for this purpose. This service enables up to date information on such cases to be obtained without the need to seek information by way of the Parliamentary Questions process. The Deputy may consider using the e-mail service except in cases where the response from the INIS is, in the Deputy’s view, inadequate or too long awaited.